Sunday, September 19, 2010

Learning Wisdom and The African World Experience: An Mbongi

In this lecture, Dr.Carr went in depth about how Africa set up the basis for society as we know. These things are usually kept out of the basic history books and aren’t acknowledged publically often. Dr. Carr also introduced the class to many Africana words, Sankofa being one of them. What this means is “go get it” which is an inspiring message to me. This means you have to go for whatever you want, nothing is going to come to you easily. This includes the pursuit of knowledge, which Dr. Carr stressed. In Africa as the basis for society was being created, education was stressed. It was the most important thing. Now, education is taken for granted and people just don’t seem to care about it at all anymore. So as African-Americans, we must emphasize the need for a better education and the pursuit of knowledge. This lecture has truly inspired me to learn more about my African roots and go beyond what the school books teach me. If I want to learn more about a subject, I must go get the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment